Make A Difference Day is our nation’s largest day of service. Millions of people rally together in volunteer activities across the United States for a single day. It is celebrated each year on the fourth Saturday in October.
Our Branches organize volunteer events in their communities throughout the fall months (Branch projects do not have to take place on the actual day). They begin planning as early as August, and the projects take place throughout October and November.
- Volunteering at the Special Olympics Bowling Tournament
- Hosting a canned food drive
- Assembling hygiene kits for the local battered women’s shelter
- Cleaning up the local cemeteries
- Visiting the local nursing home
- Collecting donations for the local animal shelter
- Assembling Thanksgiving baskets for needy families
- Stocking shelves at the local food pantry
- Hosting a special program to honor local veterans
- Baking apple strudels for fundraising event
- Placing miniature flags on veterans’ graves at the local cemetery